Monday, September 22, 2014

Roomies for life

Here is a paper I wrote about my soul mate Sara! the girls thought I should upload it :)
so here goes...

We've all heard them. The horror stories. The crazy roommates, the naked roommates, and the absolute freak roommates. All one can do is pray that the roommate chosen meets a basic norm of society.  It's not that they need to be a best friend,  and it's certainly not that they need to be the ultimate human being. All one can hope for is the average; someone who can live by your side- maybe without even speaking- for just one year. For some, it's the luck of the draw, and for others, it's destiny. One wonders though, "how am I going to know?", but let's face the truth, when judgment day comes and that sorry chosen human is sent to us, aside from frantically refreshing the email page 100 times until finally seeing the very heading you are looking for reading, "Augie Roommate", you immediately open the tab to Facebook and do as much creeping as humanly possible to see just were you lie on the luck scale of the world. And with high hopes, you are either greeted kindly, or crushed, with life ceasing to exist as you know it.
            Expecting to live the horror story, I flustered through these steps. I expected to meet a girl that strives to be a real life cat on a daily basis, complete with sewn-in tails to every outfit, and a few different styles of cat ears, or the excessive drug abuser with the tattoo "No Ragrets" plastered on her chest, but instead I was greeted with what I thought to be a stuck-up cheerleader, band freak.  I was judging what I saw based on the stereotypes I'd made from high school without bothering to think of changing the schemas I'd already formed. It's the classic tale of judging a book by its cover, lucky for me however, the Iowans are a bit different than the Nebraskans.
            My perception of Sara was as follows; she wore those perfect cheerleader bows, the ones that take up about half of the back of the head, with the perfectly perm pressed cheerleader uniform, and had pompoms glued to her hands. She had perfectly posed pictures that gave the vibe of her owning the world. It was as if she lived a perfect life with perfect friends, and the perfect family in which mommy and daddy pay for everything. Don't get me wrong, it seemed like she had the dream life and yet I hated her for it. The cognitions I had for the stereotypical group of cheerleaders at my high school were impacting the cognitions I was now forming about Sara. The only cheerleaders I had ever known were ones that I would never want to be friends with. They were cliquey, gossipy, and back stabbing. They went through "friends" like toilet paper and didn't give a care in the world about anyone but themselves. Most discouragingly though, the only cheerleaders I'd ever known were just plain stupid, some in the "I'm cute", "look at me", kind of way, and some were just idiots. That was the deal breaker for me, the one thing I'm not sure I could live with for a whole year. Some say it horrible of me to have these pre-formed ideas based just on the fact that I had a cultural myopia, a nearsightedness that my own culture was relevant to all situations, but as far as I was concerned, Sara would be no different than what I already knew to be true. 
             Then with just the click of a button she seemed to completely switch worlds in a picture that showed her in the ever so cute band uniform with the shoes that even my grandma shouldn't be wearing, and the adorable hats with the tassel that hangs straight down the front. The best part of that band uniform though, was the pleated overall pants that give the adorable assumption of wearing a diaper. She was holding her little flute and standing with perfect posture as to say she thought she was cool and band was the best thing ever. From my high school, the stereotypical band kids thought they ruled the school. They thought people came to football games simply to watch the band march at half time, and they were kids who, even if not good, would make it known to the world just how talented they thought they were. Most of them had some issue with personal hygiene, finding it okay to go days on end without a shower, and for some reason they had an obsession with ugeo cards. At my school, these people were freaks, and it would be virtually impossible to be part of both the marching band and the cheerleading squad. The unfortunate class system that has been put into place would not allow for any such nonsense; heaven forbid someone actually be talented at two different things.
            The universe had spoken and placed in my life for one grueling year was this completely abstract person. She came from two opposite sides of the universe in my book, neither of which I was particularly excited about. Intriguing, I'll give her that, after all, it's not everybody that could be accepted by both worlds. But then, the questions came flooding in, "would she shower regularly?", "would she be back stabbing?", "would she be obsessed with ugeo cards?", "would she be stupid and peppy, the most deadly of all combinations?", these are the things I needed to know but dreaded to find out for fear of the worst. 
            Then, the first email came, a channel of communication, though vague, was very comfortable for strangers.  The email was the typical cordial kind of communication,  the kind in which you can tell hardly anything about the person. The first few interactions were formless but altogether friendly, maybe even fake. She seemed nice enough, no rude hidden remarks that I could tell anyway, but then again, how much can you really tell from reading a screen. As for me, she had not even experienced a taste of the wittiness and sarcasm I display on a daily basis. As we exchanged emails and discussed the details of our room alone, however, we both seemed to be on the same page. Our ideas were similar and oddly, we seemed to agree on what was to become of our humble abode. It wasn't until a while later that we exchanged numbers and started opening up little by little. Then the day came, I cracked my first joke.
            Not only was this joke over text, but also to a near stranger.  Cracking a joke was a daring move on such forbidden ground. As soon as I sent the joke, I immediately regretted it for the obvious reason of her not getting it.  Not only did Sara get my sarcasm and laugh, at least over text, but she threw the sarcasm right back at me. I was astonished but more than that, I was relieved. It's not everybody that can be sarcastic over text and pick up on the tone; It is a true gift sent only from the Gods. This had become my lucky day, and at least behind the channel of hidden communication, Sara was okay.
            With at least a little liberation of being able to dislodge the "absolute freak" card, all I could do now was wait for the true test- move in day. When this day came, Sara had moved in by the time I got there, but walking in the half made up room I could already tell I was going to be in good hands. My first inkling was the movie selection she had including my favorite movie of all time, Footloose. My second hunch, the array of pintrest projects she'd completed for our new dwelling, like she had read my mind, as I too had created many crafts from pintrest.  All at once I had the gut feeling that even if not perfect, my situation was going to be okay. And as Sara walked in the room, fate took its toll as the first words out of both of our mouths were cynicism towards how "fantastic" the dorms were. Looking for those judgments I'd already made about her, or any inkling as to the freak I thought she was, the first conversations came naturally, with a border of awkwardness, as we introduced ourselves and discussed our room.

            It didn't take long, but seeing us now, you would think we'd known each other our whole lives. We fall under the category of "destined roommates" and the luck of the world was thankfully on my side.  In this one case only, my prior judgments dislodged easily. Sara has proven to be the opposite of all contemptuous conclusions I'd drawn, and my new, more accurate, perceptions are as follows; Sara has an ireplicable heart of gold, although just as, if not more, cynical and sarcastic than myself, she is never cruel or vindictive. Her compassion towards others is inspiring and contagious, and her ambition to pursue her goals  has me yearning for the unknown in my own life. She has a spunky personality that can bring a smile on every persons face when she walks in the room- something I might attribute to her cheerleading life. She is so musically gifted, with the voice of an angel and the talent and passion one can only dream of, but you would never know because of her empowering state of humility. My pre conceived ideas about this stranger were undoubtedly incorrect. We are more alike than sometimes either of us would care to be from interests, to family, to the attractive pajama pants we wear to bed, but, we wouldn't have it any other way. I have learned how deceiving a stereotype can be as stereotypes don't always apply in every environment. I think it is still important to have a keen sense of awareness for those you meet as it is an important way to distinguish the good ones from the bad ones, but to not let the perceptions you have formed blind you from something incredible. You can never tell what someone is like from a picture and I need to work on not judging people by their appearance. Lucky for me, I got both the best friend and the ultimate human being in one packaged deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment